Saturday, December 12, 2015

An exciting debut writer

They call me Alexandra Gastone by T.A. MacLagan (Full Fathom Five Digital)

Every year I decide which YA book is my favourite for the year. Up until I went on holiday there hadn't been any that had really stuck in my mind. I took four books away with me: two NZ and two international books. I really didn't expect a book written by a first time New Zealand* author to snatch that favourite title, but it did. You always know you've read a great book when you scrabble around on the internet afterwards trying to find out when the sequel is being released. I cannot wait for the next book from T.A. MacLagan.

When I say New Zealand author - I should clarify that Tiffany MacLagan is American born but now lives with her kiwi husband and son in Wellington. Her book is actually published in the States but she wrote it in New Zealand. Tiffany has some chops - she has a Ph.D in anthropology and it was while she was writing her dissertation that she discovered a passion for creative writing.

The story has a clever and original premise ... Eighteen year old Alexandra Gastone is a sleeper spy living in America, but is originally from Olissa (Russia). At eleven years old she changed places with the real Alexandra Gastone and has lived a lie; pretending she is the granddaughter of CIA agent Albert Gastone. Just before her 18th birthday she is activated - she must kill the newly elected Olissa President while he is in America. Can she carry out the mission or will she swap sides? She must decide who her allegiance is with - her real family, her spy family or her pretend family. Read this exciting thriller to find out.

Full Fathom Five (publisher) is selling 'They call me Alexandra Gastone' on Amazon for $1.99 - I highly recommend you grab one - you'll thoroughly enjoy reading this over the holidays. Link here. It's the sort of book that will appeal to those who love spy thrillers, romance, as well as enjoying books with a strong heroine, and a story with lots of twists and turns. Suitable for 13 years plus.

ISBN: 978-1-63370-060-4




No comments: