Sunday, October 28, 2012

Activity Book


New Zealand Garden Wildlife: To Read, Colour and Keep by Dave Gunson, New Holland

This is the fourth book in this popular colouring-in/information series – the others cover New Zealand birds, wildlife, and shore and sea life. However it’s the first one I’ve seen, so I examined it thoroughly to identify its features. Each page shows a black ink drawing (ready to be coloured in or traced) of a common garden inhabitant, such as a butterfly, ant, ladybird, myna, dandelion, manuka, mouse and hedgehog. There is also a paragraph of basic information for each picture. The pages are perforated so they can be removed and displayed when completed. In the middle of the book are two pages of coloured illustrations which give an idea of the real colours and markings of the fauna and flora included. The publisher’s age range says 4 to 7, but I’m reluctant to give it to my 4-year-old grandson just yet. I’ll wait till he’s at school and his colouring-in skills have improved – and I’ll bring the book out on a day when I can sit with him to share the information and suggest what he should be doing with the pictures. In other words, the littlies will need some adult assistance to get the most out of the book.

ISBN 978 1 86966 384 1 RRP $9.99 Pb
Reviewed by Lorraine Orman

I'm an ex-teacher and I can see this being a useful resource in the Junior classroom. Teachers could photocopy a page for children and use it as an extra activity while doing a study on insects.
Maria Gill

No comments: