Monday, May 18, 2009

New Fantasy Thriller for Young Adults


The Bone Tiki by David Hair, Harper Collins, ISBN: 978 1 86950 734 3 $19.99
What do you do when you meet a tohunga makutu?
You run.
When reality dissolves and myths and legends come alive?
You run faster.
And when the dead come to life and blood debts have to be paid, will you have the courage to do what must be done?

Matiu Douglas attends a tangi with his lawyer father. A client of his father wants a bone tiki bequeathed by the dead Aunt real bad. Matiu steals it before he gets hold of it then flees for his life. Along the journey he meets Pania a girl-clown, Wiri a long-dead warrior and scary creatures. To escape, he journeys to a parallel world...

David Hair's first novel is a fast paced mythical thriller. I asked David some questions about the writing of the book:

Where did you get your inspiration for the book?
David says when he was young he was often taken to Rotorua and he heard many local stories. He had a vivid imagination and imagined taniwhas in the rock pools. He also visualised the ghosts in New Zealand winding their way up to Cape Reinga.
"I wrote the book some time ago - in 2001. I sent it off to get published and it was rejected. Life got busy and I forgot about it until my wife urged me to do something with it. I resubmitted it to Harper Collins just before I left to go to India."

Where did you get the characters from?
Matt is an expression of a pakeha in New Zealand who is half caste with roots in both cultures.
Puarata I took from an old legend and fleshed it out some more.
The other characters built themselves around the two protagonists.


What do you bring to the book about yourself?
"My father was a logging truck driver and I often travelled with him. I travelled to the places that Matt goes to. When Matt runs away - that is very familiar territory.

What next?
"I am splitting my time in India doing financial papers and writing. I'm waiting to hear if the sequel to The Bone Tiki has been successful. I'm also writing a book for the adult market - a fantasy. A huge tomb of 300,000+ words

For teachers: A teaching resource

No comments: